Design Wall and What I have been working on…

On my Design Wall, a new start. Bonnie’s Oklahoma Backroads.

9 block made and lots of pieces and parts ready to sew.

What else have I been working on? It may be the end of June but 2012 hasn’t been a total blank quilting-wise.

These blocks came from kits I ordered years ago from Lazy Mazy when it was still around. Not sure what I will turn them into but I want the blocks finished. I have 8 of the blue and 12 of the green. They are 6″ blocks.

Finishes:

I finished this 1930’s quilt.

I also finished this little quilt from one of Bonnie’s pattern, Aunties Anvil, over at Patchwork Posse.

I used up a lot of waste HST on this one.

I also made a cute little preemie incubator quilt but don’t have a pic of that one yet.

I promise not to be a blog stranger from now on.

Quiltathon Progress

img_4223Judy is having a Quiltathon this weekend. Unfortunately we don’t get Monday as a holiday so I’ll have to see what I can accomplish in just two days off.

Saturday: I cut and pieced two of the blocks for the Asian Saturday Sampler from 2007: September and October. Two more to go and I can think about a top. These took me several hours because of all the pieces to cut and sew. We were given Marty Mitchell templates to piece these blocks, but I’m finding that I can cut 2.5″ strips and use my easy angle ruler much faster and easier than using templates. I guess it’s all in what you prefer and that’s why it’s good to try new ways of doing something. You just might like it.

img_4224After those two blocks were done, I sewed together some more truck blocks for a Quilts for Kids quilt from my stash. All that one needs is borders now.  I also sandwiched another Quilts for Kids quilt that will go back with the kit I just finished for them. I’m using the Bravest Dragon fabric I got last weekend for the backs. Very cute for a boy quilt.

Sunday: Today, I’ve cut all pieces for the last two Asian Saturday Sampler blocks. They are sitting by my piecing machine ready for the speed piecing. I’ll post pics when they are complete.

I also FMQ the second Quilts for Kids quilt. This was my second attempt at using my FMQ foot on my Sapphire 850. I love it. The work is not perfect, just loops, meanders and a few practice hearts, but I think it turned out pretty good. I need to learn how to not get all crunched up when doing FMQ. My shoulders are tight. I hope to get the binding on both of these QFK quilts tonight but the day is fading fast.

Update: I managed to get both Quilts for Kids bound and finished tonight. Just need to wash and dry them and send them off to their new homes.

img_4236img_4235

Today’s Project…

img_4166Mary posted about the One Million Pillowcases Challenge on her blog and I just couldn’t resist. I’ve got some cute fabric in my stash that just isn’t making it into any quilts anytime soon. But what cute pillowcases it will make.

So I whipped these two pillowcases out when I got home from work using the hot dog method. Very quick and very fun to make. From start to finish they didn’t take me more than an hour. I’ll be making lot’s more of these. They are great for when I just want to do some mindless sewing when I get home from work.

So that’s two yards of fabric busted so far this year. 🙂

I spent yesterday doing more organizing and scrap cutting. I also started cutting up some truck and train fabric into 6.5″ square for more Quilts for Kids from my own stash.

Today it was back to work and I was actually glad to get back after almost two weeks away.

So what did I get done today?

Besides starting another book, I futzed around all day in my sewing area.

I decided to add another row of seven blocks to make it 7×8 blocks. Yesterday I made three more 12″ square string blocks so they could be cut for the Diamond Strings quilt I started last year. So today I cut the strips, made the blocks, added the sashing, and added the row to the quilt. Whew. Took me a couple of hours to do that. I’ll add a picture of the top tomorrow.

img_3900Then I got busy cutting up scraps and partially used Fat Quarters into 1.5″ strips for the zippered bags I’m making for our women’s shelter. These will be filled with the hotel size toiletries. I also cut the 10″ squares of pink lining fabric. Then I sewed together a bunch of batting scraps to make 12 10″ squares. So, now I’m all set to sew the strips in a QAYG manner.

In between, I sorted through more fabric and UFOs trying to get organized for the new year of quilting ahead.

It’s 9:40 pm now and I’m bushed. I’m going to hit the sack with the Jonnie Jacobs novel I started this morning. More tomorrow.