Finally made some progress on the first four parts of the On Ringo Lake Mystery. All of the Part 1 9 patches are made, and some of parts 2-4. I’ll be working on catching up when I start my vacation Thursday. The fabric for this one is completely from stash.
Link back to Monday’s Link up.
Grand Illusion binding completed. 2016 UFO #1.
The Blue Pineapple Blossom is finished. 57″ x 67.5″
My Grand Illusion top is finished.
I decided I didn’t want to cut any more fabric to make additional blocks. So I stopped at 9, which gives me a 60″ square top. Because my top is smaller, I had to modify the corner squares in the border. I used the gray/red 4 patches instead. It looked better than the units called for. I love it.
Check out Bonnie’s Mystery Monday Link Up for other’s progress.
Here are my part 5 units.
I have at least 1/4 of the units done for each step. I’m shooting for half before the mystery is revealed. Christmas fun is finished. Grandkids return home today. Into the sewing room I go….
Hooking up to Bonnie’s Mystery Monday Link-up.
Here are my part 4 units. I got 10 of each made on Saturday before beginning my holiday travel.
This may be as much as I get done before next Friday. I’ve got a couple of knitting projects to finish as close to Christmas as I can.
Darby’s requested gloves.
Sloane’s fingerless lace gloves.
See what others have done at Bonnie’s Monday Link Up.
Here is a stack of my Part 3 units for Grand Illusion.
Can’t much easier than these strip pieced units. They went together very fast.
Linking to Bonnie’s Mystery Monday Link-Up.
Several people have asked if I was going to post measurements for making the half chevrons using the method I wrote up last year for Celtic Solstice here. (I’ve heard others before me have published this method, but I honestly did figure out all the measurements myself by trial and error.)
I’m headed out of town shortly for the weekend, but decided to do my test unit quickly before I left. Here are the measurements that worked for me. Please do some test units before you cut and sew a bunch of strips.
Cut the light strips 1 15/16″ (mine was closer to 2″) and the black and pink strips 2 1/4″. Cut on the 45 degree at 2.5″ widths.
Then trim to 2 1/2″ by 4 1/2″.
Sew together, press (I pressed the seam open), and you should have a 4 1/2″ square unit.
Have fun making these units.
Linking to Bonnie’s Part 2 progress post.
Here are my choices for the Grand Illusion mystery.
The red is my constant color and the dark green is in place of black. The lighter green, pink, and gray are from Moda’s Front Porch line. The dark green is Kansas Troubles. All these were purchased last month in Lolly’s Down Under in Shipshewana.
Here’s the first completed unit for Part 1, lots more to go.
If I don’t write a post soon, it will be March. In the past couple weeks I actually have moved a couple of quilting projects forward in between all my knitting adventures.
This is probably one of my oldest UFOs. I call it Asian Splendor and I finished the top in 2007. It’s made up of a bunch of Asian F8ths I received in a swap.
It’s quilted now and yesterday, my dgd picked out the binding fabric for it.
This little pastel quilt is made from the left overs from a larger Sassy Sixteen quilt I made a few years back. It’s quilted now too and has binding chosen.
On the long weekend in January, my friend and I went up to Sea Ranch (Northern California) for a mini-retreat and I finished this top made from Breath of Avignon. Have to find a backing fabric for it to keep this one moving.
I’m getting ready to head out for Indianapolis on March 1 for our annual Danville, IL retreat at Threads of Time. My plan is to keep moving on Celtic Solstice. But Jennifer threw out a new challenge and some of us will be making Missouri Star’s Disapperaring Pinwheel Quilt with layer cakes from stash. I’ve got my fabrics chosen but not yet cut. Need to get busy!!
Headed out to my Monday KAL group now!