January Stash Report

Well January isn’t quite over yet, but if I wait till tonight to report, it won’t get done. This is my first report for 2010. I’m keeping my log in Google Docs this year because I can publish it from there. Much easier. So here’s what I’ve bought and what I’ve used from stash this month.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tze5w5B4lAyRFLRvfl1nicA&single=true&gid=0&range=A1%3Ag12&output=html&widget=true

It looks like not much sewing is going on, but let me add that I completed a Quilt for Kids top from a kit (I’ll quilt it today) and completed a QFK top from my stash. And, I put together a 56″ x 48″ top center using the Sassy Sixteen pattern. I used 2.5″ x 4.5″ scraps rather than the 3.5″ x 6.5″ called for in the pattern. I won the scraps in a blog giveaway. They were already precut and I had no idea what to do with them. It suddenly came to me that this would work and it did. I like the top much much better than the scraps. 🙂 I’ll post of picture of it tomorrow since this top is currently on my design wall.

I also started and finished a Laurel Burch Christmas Wall Hanging top (sandwiched and waiting for quilting) and added a row to my String Diamonds quilt center. All the fabric for this quilt was already cut so I can’t count it as stash. However, note I counted the yards for the backing that I pieced.

I’m now in the habit of spending at least an hour each evening that I’m home on a quilting activity rather than sitting in front of the TV. So it’s been a very busy quilty month, just not much stash activity.

So what did I get done today?

Besides starting another book, I futzed around all day in my sewing area.

I decided to add another row of seven blocks to make it 7×8 blocks. Yesterday I made three more 12″ square string blocks so they could be cut for the Diamond Strings quilt I started last year. So today I cut the strips, made the blocks, added the sashing, and added the row to the quilt. Whew. Took me a couple of hours to do that. I’ll add a picture of the top tomorrow.

img_3900Then I got busy cutting up scraps and partially used Fat Quarters into 1.5″ strips for the zippered bags I’m making for our women’s shelter. These will be filled with the hotel size toiletries. I also cut the 10″ squares of pink lining fabric. Then I sewed together a bunch of batting scraps to make 12 10″ squares. So, now I’m all set to sew the strips in a QAYG manner.

In between, I sorted through more fabric and UFOs trying to get organized for the new year of quilting ahead.

It’s 9:40 pm now and I’m bushed. I’m going to hit the sack with the Jonnie Jacobs novel I started this morning. More tomorrow.