Well, I finally got up the nerve to try paper piecing. It wasn’t as easy as it looked. I ripped out all four of the first round of pieces before I got them right, and then I wasn’t very good at estimating where the seam would be and if there was enough material to cover the shape. And, finally, I cut the block to the outside border but forgot to add 1/4″ to sew it to the rest of the quilt. What a nightmare. I finally just added a 1 1/2″ piece all around instead of a 1 1/4″ piece to allow for my mistake.
Whew, I’m not sure how much foundation pieceing I’m going to be doing in the future. It does produce some nice results though with very even, straight, matching seams.