I’ve finally gotten out the top that I started in 2005 to finish for a raffle quilt. The raffle is part of our Zonta Club’s Day at the Races fund raising event on May 18th. Once my friends learned I had many unfinished tops, they asked that I finish one for a raffle prize. We make most of our money through the raffle at this event.
So the challenge for me was how to quilt those very plain, very light borders. I wanted something a little more interesting than my usual diagonal grid. I had some Golden Threads paper so I traced a cable design that came in the Alex Anderson Quilt book I bought a while ago. And, last weekend I stitched the cable. It is by no means perfect but I think it really came out good.
The challenges were that first the backing I chose was only very slightly larger than the front. But I really wanted to use this piece of fabric for the backing and not have to piece it. So I just sat on the floor and very methodically pinned the three layers in place to make sure the top was centered and the backing reached the edges on all four sides. I had to piece about three inches on one end to make it long enough but that was fine.
Then I stitched the cable design. But used my walking foot since I’m not confident enough to free-motion stitch it.
Two lessons learned:
1. Don’t try to do this for the first time on a plain, light border where everything shows.
2. Next time put on the darning foot and free-motion this cable design. I think it would have come out just as well, without all the stopping, turning, and starting again.