Judy is having a Quiltathon this weekend. Unfortunately we don’t get Monday as a holiday so I’ll have to see what I can accomplish in just two days off.
Saturday: I cut and pieced two of the blocks for the Asian Saturday Sampler from 2007: September and October. Two more to go and I can think about a top. These took me several hours because of all the pieces to cut and sew. We were given Marty Mitchell templates to piece these blocks, but I’m finding that I can cut 2.5″ strips and use my easy angle ruler much faster and easier than using templates. I guess it’s all in what you prefer and that’s why it’s good to try new ways of doing something. You just might like it.
After those two blocks were done, I sewed together some more truck blocks for a Quilts for Kids quilt from my stash. All that one needs is borders now. I also sandwiched another Quilts for Kids quilt that will go back with the kit I just finished for them. I’m using the Bravest Dragon fabric I got last weekend for the backs. Very cute for a boy quilt.
Sunday: Today, I’ve cut all pieces for the last two Asian Saturday Sampler blocks. They are sitting by my piecing machine ready for the speed piecing. I’ll post pics when they are complete.
I also FMQ the second Quilts for Kids quilt. This was my second attempt at using my FMQ foot on my Sapphire 850. I love it. The work is not perfect, just loops, meanders and a few practice hearts, but I think it turned out pretty good. I need to learn how to not get all crunched up when doing FMQ. My shoulders are tight. I hope to get the binding on both of these QFK quilts tonight but the day is fading fast.
Update: I managed to get both Quilts for Kids bound and finished tonight. Just need to wash and dry them and send them off to their new homes.